Dr. John Lahey, the chairman of NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Inc. has called a meeting for this Thursday, October 29. In his published agenda, he has proposed several by-laws changes.
Among them are:
- Removal of the section which states “The Parade will be held in honor of St Patrick, the Patron Saint of the Archdiocese of New York and the Patron Saint of Ireland.”
- The elimination of the election, by democratic process, of the officers of the parade committee by the Affiliated organizations; depriving the Affiliated organizations of any voice in the parade.
- The creation of a new executive committee, replacing the elected Parade Committee, answerable only to Dr. Lahey and the Board to administer the parade
- The removal of the requirement that members of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade committee be of Irish descent
- The removal of the requirement that members of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade committee be Roman Catholic.
The Affiliated Organizations of the parade include, amongst others, AOH& LAOH counties and divisions, Clan na Gael, Friends of Irish Freedom, Council of Gaelic Societies, Emerald Societies, United Irish Counties, County Organizations and other affiliated organizations. They are the backbone of the parade and many have marched in the parade for over a century. And now they are to be denied a voice?
Please join the concerned members. Click on the link below and sign the attached petition. Please forward this to any Irish American you know.
We need to have as many signatures as soon as possible.
Go raibh mile maith agat.